Community Development Grants
Through its Community Development Grants, determined by the Community Development Grants Committee, the City of Mitcham provides the opportunity for community groups and organisations to participate in and contribute to the community and cultural life of the City by developing projects, programs or activities which are innovative and offer a different approach to meeting community needs.
Grants of up to $1,500 are available to eligible community groups and organisations to undertake Community Development Projects.
The next round of funding closes at 5 pm on Monday 30 March 2015.
Applications must be submitted in one of the following funding categories:
- Community Projects
These are projects that are designed to provide benefits to the community in a wide range of areas, for example:
- Community and cultural development
- Community health and safety
- Environmental improvement
- Community Events
These are events that contribute to the community in the following ways:
- Strengthen a sense of community, belonging and civic pride
- Encourage residents to participate in social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities
- Foster social and cultural diversity
- Promote local business and trading groups
- Enhance the City of Mitcham as a desirable destination
(Applications in this category will be required to provide evidence of Public Liability insurance.)
- Facilities Upgrades and Equipment Purchases
This category covers the funding of works or equipment related to community capacity building projects which support an ongoing community activity, program or project that can demonstrate one or more of the following objectives:
- Increases community participation in projects and activities
- Assists community groups to operate more effectively
- Encourages and supports the involvement of volunteers
- Improves occupational health and safety
- Contributes to environmental sustainability
Priority will be given to projects that can demonstrate a high level of community need, or where the service or program is in danger of being discontinued without the required facility upgrade or equipment purchase.
(Quotations must be submitted with all applications in this category. Prior approval must be sought from Council for any proposed improvement to Council owned property.)
Please contact the City of Mitcham on 8372 8899 if you would like a word copy of the application form or require further information.
Special Community Projects and Events Funding
In addition to the Community Development Grants, Council may consider requests for one-off funding assistance for special community projects and community events.
All such funding will be subject to a resolution of Council and subject to an individual funding or sponsorship agreement negotiated between Council and the organisation.
This funding is limited and as it is a decision of Council, is available for application throughout the year.
Community groups seeking this funding should meet the same eligibility requirements as outlined above for Community Development Grants. Applications should be via a written letter of request addressing the eligibility criteria and outlining how the funding will be spent, for the consideration of Council.
Please allow at least three months for applications in this category to be presented to Council and a response to be provided.
Individual Achievement Grants
Supporting Our High Achievers
Individual Achievement Grants are offered in recognition of local residents who have achieved excellence in sport, education, cultural or other eligible fields, to assist them to participate as a state or national representative in a sporting, cultural, academic or other eligible competition or event. The grants are designed to provide travel assistance to individuals or teams who have been selected to represent South Australia or Australia, either nationally or internationally and who meet the eligibility criteria and follow the selection guidelines (as set out below).
- reside within the City of Mitcham; and
- be competing in a peak body organised event;
- have been selected on merit to represent South Australia or Australia;
- have not received an Individual Achievement Grant from the City of Mitcham in the past 24 months.
- applications will only be accepted prior to the date the competition or event occurs;
- generally this fund is for first time applicants, although an application 24 months following a previous grant by Council will be considered, based on demand and merit;
- if one, two or three members of a club, group or organisation are attending the same competition or event the amount available per person is as follows:
- $100 if activities are held interstate
- $200 if activities are held overseas
- if four or more members of a club, group or organisation are attending the same competition or event, the amount available per club, group or organisation is as follows:
- $300 if activities are held interstate
- $600 if activities are held overseas
Where four or more members of a club, group or organisation are attending the same competition or event, it is preferred that completed application forms for each attendee be forwarded to the Council at the same time. Payment will be made to the club, group or organisation.
All sections of the attached application form must be completed and evidence of selection / invitation to attend the event as a representative of the State or Nation must be attached.
Total funding allocated for each financial year is divided into two equal amounts (July to December and January to June) and grants are only issued to the amount of funds available for that part of the year.
Download a copy of the Guidelines and the Application Form here. For more information please contact the Council on 8372 8899.
Other Sources of Funding
Office for Recreation and Sport
Grants and Scholarships are available for Clubs, Associations and Individuals.
Australian Sports Commission:
- Local Sporting Champions Program - Designed to provide financial assistance for young people aged 12-18 towards cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing, coaching or officiating at an official national sporting event (restrictions apply).
- Australian Sports Foundation– aim is to increase opportunities for Australian to participate in sport and/or to excel in sports performance – for eligible organisations.
South Australian General Grants
Links provided to many available grants.
|A place for information on government grants and assistance.|
Funding, Grants and support available for individuals or groups.
Australian Government GrantsLINK website
The GrantsLINK directory has information about Federal, State and Local Government programs.
Australia Council for the Arts
Funding available for arts organisations and individual artists across the country.
Commonwealth Bank Community Grants
The Commonwealth Bank provides grants of up to $10,000 to local community organisations with Deductible Gift Recipient Status to support the health and wellbeing of Australian children. Application forms and guidelines available from the Commonwealth Bank.
Our Community Funding Centre
Provides details, tips and information on grant seeking and writing grant applications. Need to be a member to log on and search for grants.
SportsCover – Sponsorship Grants
Fund sponsors a wide variety of amateur sports men and women, across a broad cross-section of sports.
Tennis Australia – Facility Loan Scheme
Financially assist affiliated Australian Tennis Clubs Centres and Associations to upgrade, replace or improve their tennis facilities by providing low interest loans.