The City of Mitcham continues to focus on reducing waste to land fill by encouraging waste minimisation and greater participation rates in recycling programs.
Mitcham is very committed to reducing waste through its waste and recycling collection service, composting and worm farms, its Green Organics Depot and hard rubbish collection. In this section you can also find out what other items you can recycle from the home, how to dispose of household hazardous waste and where does recycling go? once it is collected.
How to Reduce Waste
- Refuse to buy over-packaged products.
- Buy products in bulk to reduce packaging.
- Write to the manufacturer telling them that you will buy another brand if your favourite product does not come in a reusable or recyclable container.
- Remember to take your multi-use shopping bags or basket with you.
- Buy products with no packaging.
- Look first before discarding anything to see if it can be used again for another purpose.
- Set up a compost bin in your backyard to treat kitchen food scraps and provide you with free fertiliser.
- Leave your lawn clippings on the lawn as you mow - it saves time, water and also fertilises your lawn.
- Rinse all food containers to avoid health risks.
- Flatten bulky items to save space.
- Remove lids before placing items in your bin.
- Place items loose in bin (not in plastic bags)
- Close the loop and buy recycled products
- Turn green organics into compost.