Domestic Hard Waste Collection
The City of Mitcham provides one pre-booked hard waste collection service for all domestic households in the Mitcham Council area each financial year. There is no direct cost to residents.
To arrange a collection it's as easy as 1, 2, 3...
1. Book First
Residents wanting a hard waste collection can contact East Waste to pre-book their collection:
- Call 8347 5170
- Email email@example.com
- Visit Mitcham Council's Customer Service Centre at 131 Belair Road, Torrens Park
Pickup will be within four weeks of booking the service, with residents advised in writing two weeks prior to their pickup date.
Remember you need to wait until your collecton date before putting your hard waste out. Placing these materials out at the time you make your booking is not allowed.
2. Sort Your Waste
A maximum of two cubic metres will be collected from each household. To calculate cubic metres, multiply length x width x height. For example: 2m x 1m x 1m = 2 cubic metres.
Excess or non-acceptable material will not be collected and the resident will be responsible for its removal.
Items accepted for collection:
- Refrigerators and freezers (for safety reasons - please remove doors)
- White goods
- Floor coverings (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
- Sheets of iron and guttering (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
- Timber off cuts (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
- Dismantled clothes lines
- Blinds and window coverings
- Bikes and toys
- Air conditioners
- Small items of scrap metal
- Hot water services
- Lawn mowers
- Tree and shrub prunings cut into 2 metre lengths and tied in bundles (max of 30 cm diameter)
- Rainwater tanks (segments no larger than 1.5 metre lengths)
Items not accepted for collection:
- No bricks, rocks, dirt, pavers, concrete or building materials
- No wooden pallets
- No electronic waste (TVs, computers or anything with a battery or cord)
- No motor vehicle tyres
- No items too heavy for two people to lift (e.g. water softeners)
- No batteries
- No paints
- No ammunition, explosives or flares
- No asbestos
- No fire extinguishers
- No motor oil
- No gas bottles
- No liquids
- No chemicals
- No panels of sheet glass
- No car parts - e.g. gear boxes, engine blocks or panels
- No business or industrial waste
3. Place your Waste out for Collection
All items to be collected are to be placed on the kerbside no earlier than the day before your collection and no later than 7am the day of your collection.
Remember it is your responsibility to ensure that the hard waste outside your property is placed and maintained safely until collected - even if it is moved by other people.
- Put your waste out no sooner than 24 hours before it is due for collection, but no later than 7am on the collection day. Residents will be asked to remove their material if placed out earlier than their scheduled collection
- Leave plenty of room on the footpath for people to walk past, and keep items tidy and secure on the nature strip - not on the footpath or the roadway
- Don't leave anything sharp or hazardous on the footpath
- Remove all doors from fridges and freezers
- Don't stack your waste too high
- Lay taller items down (e.g. wardrobes)
- Break larger items up if possible
If you live in the Higher Fire Risk Area and your collection day coincides with an Extreme or Catastrophic fire danger rating day, your collection will be postponed until the next appropriate day.
Remember - illegal dumping is an offence and expiations may be issued under the Local Government Act should materials be placed on the nature strip too early.
Click here for information on e-waste disposal including TVs and computers.
For information on the safe disposal of hazardous material contact Zero Waste on 1300 137 118 or visit www.zerowaste.sa.gov.au.
For all other waste disposal enquiries contact Mitcham Council on 8372 8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org