Citizenship Ceremonies

How do I become an Australian Citizen?

Australian Citizenship applications and enquiries should be directed to the Department of Home Affairs.

To become an Australian citizen, an application must first be lodged with the Department of Home Affairs. Application forms are available online at All applicants will be notified by the Department of Home Affairs of the outcome.

The Department of Home Affairs has been conferring new citizens virtually for the past few months, seeing City of Mitcham welcome 150 new citizens. Welcome to you all!

When will Council host its next Ceremony?

City of Mitcham hosted its first face to face ceremony since March on Thursday September 17, Australian Citizenship Day. We welcomed 18 new citizens in the Council Chambers.

Content Image

City of Mitcham are looking to deliver a Citizenship Ceremony prior to the end of the year; when the date has been set, invitations will be sent from the Department of Home Affairs via email with a link to register for the event. Please advise if you will be attending the ceremony via the link contained in the letter.

For the safety of everyone attending, please do not attend if:

  • you are feeling unwell or have any cold or flu-like symptoms (even mild ones)
  • are awaiting outcomes of a COVID-19 test
  • have returned from interstate or overseas in the past 14 days
  • are self-isolating or required to be in quarantine OR
  • have been in close contact with a person self-isolating or has tested positive to COVID-19.

You will be asked upon entry the above questions and will be required to provide your contact details for contact tracing purposes as per the requirements of SA Health.

Physical distancing will be in place at the event. Please ensure you maintain a distance of 1.5 metres from others at all times.

Many thanks for assisting in minimising the spread of COVID-19 in South Australia.

Our Australia Day Celebration will be the next date we host a Citizenship Ceremony. Further details about this event can be found here.

If you have an urgent need to finalise your citizenship journey, please make contact with the Department of Home Affairs via this email address

Information about passports can be found at the Department of Foreign Affairs website or via phone on 131 232.