City of Mitcham Mayor Heather Holmes-Ross has encouraged the community to work together to slow the spread and keep one another safe. “We’re experiencing challenging and unprecedented times as a global community as COVID-19 continues to disrupt our workplaces, homes and public spaces,” she said. “This is a constantly evolving situation and we will review our response daily and adjust as required."
For regular updates about COVID-19 visit the SA Health Facebook page here.
The Australian Government has introduced important social distancing measures to slow the spread of Coronavirus. The virus is spread through contact with droplets produced when an infectious person coughs or sneezes. As a consequence, our behaviour is key to preventing spread of the virus and this involves taking personal responsibility, such as regular hygiene practices and social distancing. View the current social distancing prohibited activities that apply from 30 March 2020 here.
The Civic Centre front counter will be closed to the public from Thursday 19 March to Thursday 30 April. Two notices issued under Section 92 of the South Australian Public Health Act 2011 can be viewed here.
The Section 92 notices essentially have the effect of:
- Prohibiting members of the public from entering the premises situated at 131 Belair Road, Torrens Park SA 5062 and the Civic Centre for the duration of the public health emergency without prior appointment;
- Ensuring that any members of the public entering the premises and/or the Civic Centre by prior appointment are screened for COVID-19 in accordance with Federal Government guidelines; and
- Prohibiting any member of the public from entering the public gallery or the premises for the Council meeting scheduled for 7:00pm on Tuesday, 24 March 2020.
The Customer Communications team can be contacted via phone 8372 8888, email firstname.lastname@example.org or via a feedback form.
The Mitcham Memorial Library and Blackwood Library will be closed to the public from Thursday 19 March to Thursday 30 April. Click or Call and Collect and Home Library Service will continue and returns chutes will remain open.
To access Click or Call and Collect, browse the catalogue online, then call 8372 8244 (Mitcham) or 8372 8255 (Blackwood) to reserve your books, DVDs or magazines.We’ll let you know when your items are ready to be collected from the library entrance.
These special events have been postponed. We will contact you as soon as we are able to arrange alternative times or a refund.
- Thomas Keneally, Monday 27 April
- Film morning - Agora, 7 April
- School holiday program
- Clipper Ship Light house activities, Thursday 23 April
- I Kill Giants movie screening, Wednesday 22 April
- Incredible Invertebrates , Monday 20 April
- Wilbur's Wildlife , Wednesday 15 April
- Sustainability Skills , Wed 29 April
All programs cancelled until Thursday 30 April. The following programs will not be run:
- Storytime and Craft
- Toys and Talk
- Wriggle and Read
- Tech times
- iPad classes
- Book clubs
- Chess Group
- Conversation and coffee group
- French classes
- Knitting and crochet
- JP services
- Toy Libraries will be closed until Thursday 30 April. Please retain your items and contact the libraries to renew loan periods if necessary. Memberships will be extended for the closed period of time.
Please contact the libraries if you have further questions.
The following events across City of Mitcham have been postponed:
- Neighbour Day BBQ competition planned for March to April has been postponed until October
- Justice of the Peace services across City of Mitcham Civic Centre, Mitcham Memorial Library and Blackwood Library.
- Get Stoked Community Ride Day on 18 April has been postponed until further notice
- Skateboard Workshops 20th, 21st, 23rd and 24th April have been postponed until further notice
- Superhero Roller Disco on 9 May postponed until further notice
Community Centres will will be closed to the public from Thursday 19 March to Thursday 30 April.
- Applications for new hall hire have been suspended until the end of April 2020.
- Programs suspended until the end of April 2020 include:
- Batch cooking Monday and Wednesdays
- Tuesday lunch group and activities
- Cumby Crew
- Thursdays’ morning tea with the Orchestra
- Knitting & Crochet (Wednesday)
- Tea & Toasties (Wednesday)
- Men’s Chat (Wednesday)
- English Conversation (Wednesday)
- Art with Koruna (Wednesday)
- Community Tai Chi (Wednesday)
Playgrounds and Skate Parks
Community Wellbeing services have been suspended until Thursday 30 April including:
- Individual Social Support services
- Social Groups run from the Cumberland Park Community Centre and Blackwood Community Centre
- Social Group outings including our Men’s Lunch Groups
- 1 to 1 social support, including home visits and transport to social activities
- Community Bus services to both Library and shopping centres
- ‘Out ‘n’ About’ bus outings are suspended until April 30, at this stage however all participants will be advised when we have more information.
At this point the Personal Transport program is continuing for those clients with no family or other supports to assist them.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your Volunteer role, please contact your Coordinator Deb or Dennis, or talk to Sonja in the Community Wellbeing Team on 8372 8884.
Lynton Green Organics Drop Off Facility
In the interests of the wellbeing and safety of our staff and our community, the scheduled green waste day on 18 April at Lynton Green Organics Drop-off Facility has been suspended. Thank you for patience and understanding as we work to slow the spread of COVID-19. To view the calendar click here.
Local History Service
Local History Service has been closed until Thursday 30 April.
Council run Community Shed program (Monday, Wednesday & Thursday) has been closed until 30 April.
All volunteering positions across Mitcham Cultural Village, Cumberland Park Community Centre and the Civic Centre have been suspended.
Waste and depot services
The Melrose Park Operations Depot will be closed to the public from Thursday 19 March to Thursday 30 April.
Development Services will continue as normal, however face-to-face contact has been suspended. Development applications can be lodged via email to email@example.com or by post to: City of Mitcham, PO Box 21, Mitcham Shopping Centre, TORRENS PARK SA 5062. If you need to hand deliver your application at Civic Centre, please phone Customer Communications team on 8372 8888 to make an appointment.
All other services
RSL South Australia ANZAC Day services have been cancelled across South Australia.
More information about COVID-19
Council will continue to observe all directions and advice issued by the Federal and State Governments regarding COVID-19, as the health and well-being of our community is our highest priority.
The City of Mitcham apologises for any inconvenience these necessary temporary closures have on our community.