Businesses, Council praised for COVID-19 response

Content Image

Businesses, Council praised for COVID-19 response

South Australia’s Chief Public Health Officer Professor Nicola Spurrier has praised the work of local businesses and City of Mitcham’s Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) in responding to COVID-19 requirements.

Prof Spurrier stopped in at The Middle Store café on Winston Avenue this week to see first-hand some of the measures introduced to keep the community safe.

The Middle Store closed its seating area and offered takeaway only at the height of COVID-19 restrictions and has since re-opened with screens at the counters, hygiene measures, limited seating and social distancing requirements in place. They also installed a communications board outside the café and kept in touch with regulars via social media.

Rose Adam, who runs the business with her siblings Haefa and George, said it had been a difficult few months but clear direction from the State Government and on-the-ground support from Council had been welcome.

“We’ve had Council officers coming out every week and checking on us, letting us know what is happening and answering our questions,” she said. “To have someone just come and talk to us to find out how we are going has been reassuring and we’ve really appreciated that.”

City of Mitcham EHOs have visited hundreds of businesses across the Council over the past few months to support them to keep themselves and their customers safe through meeting density, hygiene and planning requirements.

Prof Spurrier, who is a City of Mitcham resident, said she appreciated the work from local businesses who had been flexible in adapting their business practices.

She encouraged all business owners to ensure they had an up to date COVID Safe Plan and were aware of requirements.

“COVID hasn’t gone, and it’s important that every business has a COVID Safe Plan,” she said. “It’s the responsibility of government, but it’s also up to businesses and individuals. If you don’t know what a Plan is, or how to complete one, contact your council."