What you need to know about becoming an Elected Member!
If you are thinking about standing as a candidate here is some essential information.
Role of the Elected Member
There are some specific roles which an Elected Member is expected to perform. You must be prepared to:
- Represent the interests of ratepayers and residents.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the community.
- Act as a conduit between the community and Council.
- Participate in Council's decision making.
- Participate in the civic activities of Council.
- Work towards achieving Council's strategic directions.
- Oversee the Council budget, including its resource allocation, expenditure and service delivery.
When you take on the role of Elected Member you are committing yourself to a number of hours extra work each month. There are Council meetings and committee meetings to attend and agenda papers and reports to read. You will also be invited to attend community events as this is how you will get to know your community and find out what is important to it.
Not only will you be doing your bit to make your community a better place in which to live and work you will also receive financial compensation in the form of an allowance.
Allowances and Expenses
While the role of an Elected Member is not a paid position, an annual allowance is paid to cover some of your costs. The Mayor currently receives $76,000 and other Councillors receive $19,000.
Elected Members are also entitled to claim for reimbursement of some expenses such as prescribed travel costs and child care.
Advice for Potential Candidates
- Make sure you are on the State Electoral Roll or Council's Voters' roll.
- Do some research about Council, its functions and services.
- Attend a Council and a Committee meeting to see how meetings are conducted and the types of matters which are discussed.
- You can expect to be involved in an intensive induction program should you be elected to Council.
The next Local Government elections will be in 2018. If you would like further information about becoming an Elected Member, download a copy of So you want to be on Council or call 8372 8837.