The Partnering to Build an Age Friendly Environment and Community - Regional Strategy and Action Plans provide a framework for the Cities of Holdfast Bay, Marion and Mitcham to plan ahead for the ageing population. It provides a consistent direction for planning for older people across the region supported by Council specific action plans.
Why is Partnering to Build an Age Friendly Environment and Community - Regional Strategy and Action Plans Important?
In Mitcham approximately 18% of residents are over the age of 65 this is a total of 11,000 and the percentage share of the age group is projected to be more than 23% by 2026.
The Age Friendly Strategy and Action Plan has been developed with the assistance of residents and stakeholders including community members, Council staff, Elected Members, and service providers.
What is expected of Partnering to Build an Age Friendly Environment and Community - Regional Strategy and Action Plans?
The Strategy and Action Plans focus on partnering, facilitating, advocating or delivering on specific actions and projects for the next five years such as:
- Developing community centres into vibrant community hubs for the entire community.
- Encourage housing diversity in the hills portion of Mitcham to support the transition to more appropriate housing.
- Develop an open space strategy that ensures design criteria for parks and open space is age friendly, as well as based on the principles of access and inclusion.
- Encouraging and supporting older people to apply for Council’s Community Development Grants.
- Support the Access and Inclusion Plan’s action to review communication methods and consider opportunities such as information kiosks and improved website.
- Other regional strategies that are included in the Action Plan.
A copy of Partnering to Build an Age Friendly Environment and Community - Regional Strategy and Action Plans can be viewed at the City of Mitcham Civic Centre, 131 Belair Road, Torrens Park; Mitcham Library, 154 Belair Road, Hawthorn; and Blackwood Library, 215 Main Road, Blackwood or download a copy below
For more information contact 8372 8888.