The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) is responsible for monitoring and regulating noise pollution from domestic, industrial and other activities. The EPA use the Environment Protection Act 1993 and Environment Protection (Noise) Policy 2007 to regulate noise from domestic, construction and industrial activities.

Domestic Noise

Noise from domestic premises can include music, revving motor vehicles, hammering and non-mechanical construction noise. These noise sources have the potential to adversely impact the enjoyment of the area. This impact can be minimised by taking all reasonable and practicable measures to reduce the noise.

Fixed Domestic Machine Noise

Air conditioner units and pools pumps are examples of fixed domestic machine noise.

These machines:

  • must not emit a continuous noise level greater that 52 dB(A) between the hours of 7 am and 10 pm on any day.
  • must not emit a continuous noise level greater that 45 dB(A) between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am on any day.

Non- fixed Domestic Machine Noise

Lawnmowers, power tools and moveable equipment are examples of non-fixed domestic machine noise. These noise sources can emit a significant amount of noise but usually over a short period of time.

These machines:

  • must not emit a continuous noise level greater that 45 dB(A) or a maximum noise level of 60 dB(A) between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm Monday to Saturday, and 9 am to 8 pm on Sunday.

Construction Noise

Whilst the noise generated from construction activities may be unavoidable in some circumstances, there are often measures that can be put in place to minimise the impact on the local area.

Construction noise resulting in noise with an adverse impact on the local area is subject to the following restrictions:

  • must not occur on a Sunday or other public holiday
  • must not occur on any other day except between 7 am and 7 pm
  • must not emit a continuous noise level greater than 45 dB(A) or a maximum noise level of 60 dB(A).

A particular operation may occur on a Sunday or public holiday between 9 am and 7 pm, or may commence before 7 am on any other day:

  • to avoid an unreasonable interruption of vehicle or pedestrian traffic
  • if other grounds exist that the EPA or other administering agency determines to be sufficient.

People Noise

Concerns about ‘people noise’ including parties, loud music and revving cars can be directed to SA Police on 131 444.

Animal Noise

Noises generated from animals such as dogs and roosters can be directed to the City of Mitcham on 8372 8888.

Licensed Premises

For noise from pubs, nightclubs and other premises licensed under the Liquor Licensing Act 1997, contact Consumer and Business Services (formerly Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner) on 131 882.


The EPA can assist you if you are concerned about a noisy activity. Please call the EPA on 8204 2004.

However, in the first instance, you are encouraged to resolve the matter yourself by speaking with the person generating the noise. They may not be aware of the noise impacting you. Discussing the matter may result in a suitable compromise for both parties.

Further information is available at