Section 7 and Section 187 Searches
To provide a faster, secure and more accurate service, Council has moved the process to request Section 7 and 187 searches online. Guidelines are available at the bottom of this page to assist you through this process.
How do I request a Search?
Applicants will need to initially register to become an Eweb Registered User. Once registration is approved you can login to request and pay for certificate applications. You can also view historic requests in a secure environment.
What is a Search?
Searches provide information on a particular property. They can only be ordered by or on behalf of a person who has an interest in land within the area.
For the purposes of ordering a Search, the Local Government Act 1999 (Section 187) states that a person has an interest in land if and only if that person is:
- the owner of a registered estate or interest in the land; or
- an occupier of the land; or
- a person who has entered or declares to the Council that he or she proposes to enter into a contract to purchase the land; or
- a mortgagee or prospective mortgagee of the land.
A full Council search consists of two separate components:
- Rates – (Section 187) A rates certificate is generated which shows rates levied for this financial year and outstanding rates due.
Development and Environmental Health – (Section 7).
Environmental Health - The specific property is checked against the contaminated land register to identify whether any relevant notices have been issued.
- Development Services - A search is done on development applications which are then attached as part of the Section 7 Search. A copy of the indemnity insurance (if available) is attached and any encumbrances, Land Management Agreements or current notices issued for that particular property are indicated on the search.
How much is a search?
All searches other than the Rates Only search (Section 187) must include a copy of the Certificate of Title in order for Council to process the search request.
If there is more than one Certificate of Title attached to the property being searched, this fee will be charged for each individual Certificate of Title.
Fees and Charges
|Full Section 7 Search||$57.05|
|Full Section 7 Search - Urgent||$68.75|
When will I receive my Search?
- Urgent searches will be given priority.
- Standard search requests will be electronically delivered within the eight (8) day legislative time frame, however when possible, we will endeavour to deliver them sooner.
What if I have a problem?
- If there is a problem or a question about lodging a request via the website portal, please contact an Information Management Officer on 8372 8888; or
- If you have a query about a Decision Notification Form or a planning related information within the documentation, please call 8372 8807 and request to speak to the Senior Planning Officer.