What is the Access and Inclusion Plan?
The Access and Inclusion Plan provides a framework and sets out Council’s commitment to advancing the City as a welcoming and inclusive place.
The Plan links with the City of Mitcham’s Strategic Management Plan Mitcham 2030, 4-Year Delivery Plan, Annual Business Plans, Living Well Public Health and Wellbeing Plan 2020-2025. Importantly, the DAIP is aligned with and draws on the State Disability Inclusion Plan 2019-2023 - Inclusive SA and meets regulatory obligations legislated by the Disability Inclusion Act, 2018 (SA).
Why the Plan is important?
It is estimated that more than 20,000 people living in the City of Mitcham have access and inclusion needs. According to the 2019 Population Health Profile the number of residents in the City of Mitcham who identified as living with severe and profound disability was 2,550. Added to this are the families of approximately 3,500 children aged 0-4 years who use strollers and prams, and the more than 11,000 people living in the City of Mitcham who are over the age of 65.
What is expected of the Plan?
The City of Mitcham DAIP sets out five focus areas and corresponding actions that will enable the City to provide services, supports, facilities and information that are accessible for all and genuinely inclusive.
The focus areas are:
- Culture: Accessibility and inclusion are a part of our way of working across the organisation
- Collaborate and Advocate: The rights of people living with a disability are represented, upheld and promoted
- Communicate, Engage and Participate: People living with a disability meaningfully engage and contribute to the City of Mitcham
- Spaces and places: Experiences in our spaces and places are accessible and inclusive for all
- Volunteering, Learning and Employment: People living with a disability participate economically and socially through work and volunteering opportunities
Read and Listen to the Access and Inclusion Plan
A copy of the Access and Inclusion Plan is available at:
- City of Mitcham Civic Centre, 131 Belair Road, Torrens Park
- Mitcham Library, 154 Belair Road, Hawthorn
- Blackwood Library, 215 Main Road, Blackwood
It will soon be available in a number of other formats such as Easy English and if requested other languages.
The Plan is an accessible electronic document optimised for screen readers and other assistive devices.
For information about other versions please call 8372 8888.
MS Word Version - City of Mitcham Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2020-2024
Large Text Version - City of Mitcham Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2020-2024 Large Print
Reader Friendly Version - City of Mitcham Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2020-2024 Reader Friendly