How we manage stormwater, including information on kerb, water table, pit and underground pipe construction works and our Smart Water management projects.

How we manage stormwater

We have several different methods for managing stormwater.

Our annual program includes works on kerbs and water tables, pits and underground pipes, and smart water management projects, which aim to minimise the impact of urbanisation and increased runoff on the stormwater system using natural elements rather than traditional pits and pipes.

These works aim to minimise flooding, erosion, ponding and direct stormwater further down the system. They often happen before or at the same time as large scale roadworks.

Make a request or report an issue

Report an ongoing flooding issue

Request stormwater drain maintenance

Request a new footpath or stormwater drain

How will you know if works are planned?

If you’re directly affected by stormwater works, we’ll send you a letter with information about when and where the works are happening, and who you can get in touch with if you have questions.

You’ll receive this letter just before the work starts. If you believe there’s work happening in your area that impacts you and haven’t received a letter, give us a call on 8372 8888.

Discover what works we have planned this year

Stormwater infrastructure from private properties

Stormwater infrastructure that takes stormwater from private properties to the kerb, watertable or stormwater drain is the responsibility of property owners.

Stormwater runoff from private properties is usually installed under our footpaths and verges into the kerb, watertable or stormwater drain (referred to as the legal point of discharge or LPOD).

Under the Local Government Act property owners are responsible for all private stormwater infrastructure installed on our land to the legal point of discharge. From here we are responsible for stormwater and infrastructure. Usually your stormwater infrastructure is installed when you build your house however sometimes extra stormwater infrastructure points are installed later.

Apply to undertake works on public land

What are you responsible for?

As a property owner you are responsible for the condition, maintenance and replacement of:

  • pipes from your property boundary to the road that releases stormwater to the kerb
  • drain covers installed in the footpath and/or verge
  • stormwater outlet points installed into the kerb
  • pipes that connect to a stormwater drain
  • surrounding infrastructure such as footpaths, verges, kerbing that may get damaged when installing stormwater infrastructure or as a result of damage from private stormwater infrastructure.

If your private stormwater infrastructure has damaged the footpath, verge or kerb and/or is creating a risk to pedestrians or road users, we will ask you to carry out repairs.

If you need to install new private stormwater instruction to undertake repairs apply online to undertake works on public land.

Frequently asked questions

Property owners are responsible for all private stormwater infrastructure. While all stormwater works need to be approved by Council the cost is the responsibility of the property owner. The ongoing maintenance of your private stormwater infrastructure is the responsibility of the property owner. If the private stormwater becomes dangerous to pedestrians or road users Council is able to require property owners to undertake maintenance or repairs.

When private stormwater infrastructure is broken it can cause damage to the footpath, verge and kerbing. When pipes, drain covers or outlets break down they can cause footpaths to sink, verges to wash away and kerbing to crack and break.  If you do any work on your private stormwater infrastructure you must ensure that the footpath, verge and kerb is reinstated to Council’s standard as it is important that it is safe for pedestrians.

Yes, it doesn’t matter if someone else caused the damage as the property owner you will need to repair the damage.

Kerb and water table construction

To manage the flow of stormwater, most roads contain a kerb and water table (often referred to as gutter). Keeping these in good condition is key to keeping stormwater flowing.

What happens during kerb and water table works

When we do construction work, we remove the existing concrete kerb and water table, improve the base conditions, and re-lay new concrete kerbing.

We try to do the work between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday. We might need to limit access to properties during this time.

Underground pipe and pit upgrades

Increased urbanisation and impervious surfaces means that we’re constantly upgrading our stormwater systems to cope with increased run-off. Sometimes we upgrade our existing pipe network, and other times we install new where required. Generally, our stormwater pipes are located under the road, which means they need substantial excavation. This is a last resort method because of its impact and cost.

What happens during pipe and pit upgrades works

  • We may need to close the road during the works
  • We may limit access to properties for short periods of time (only during work hours)
  • We do our best to limit construction work between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Saturday

Smart water management projects

Our Smart water management projects aim to minimise the impact of urbanisation and increased runoff on the stormwater system using natural elements rather than traditional pits and pipes. These methods are also designed to improve the aesthetic and recreational appeal of the streetscape.

By diverting stormwater into swales and rain gardens for infiltration, we can better direct water runoff, improve water quality, and keep Mitcham greener for longer.

We’re also installing treenet inlets to provide water for local street trees.

What happens during smart water management works

  • These projects shouldn’t impact you, as they usually happen within the road verge or reserves
  • We may introduce speed restrictions or close the road for short periods of time, but local residents will still be able to access their properties

Frequently asked questions

You'll need to ask our permission to do this. Head to our works on public land for more information, and to fill out an application form.

You’ll need to ask our permission to do this. Head to our works on public land for more information, and to fill out an application form.

Before construction starts, the construction crew or a surveyor might mark out where the works start and end. They might also mark out any underground services to make clearance from them when excavating.