Local Government Elections
Local Government elections are held every four years. The next election will be held in November 2022.
Council is not required to hold supplementary elections for vacancies that may occur after 1 January of a periodic election year.
Local Government elections provide an opportunity to elect representatives who aspire, through the decisions they will be empowered to make on behalf of the community, to contribute to effective Local Government.
Supplementary Election (June 2020) - Gault Ward
A supplementary election will be held to fill a vacancy in Gault Ward due to an Elected Member’s resignation.
A Candidate Nomination Information Session was held on Wednesday, 1 July 2020, 7pm at the Cumberland Park Community Centre, Goodwood Road. The presentation can be accessed here.
Other Key Dates
- Close of Voters' Roll - 5pm, Friday 29 May 2020
- Nominations Open – 25 June 2020
- Nominations Close – 9 July 2020 (12 noon)
- Ballot Paper Order Draw – 9 July 2020 (4pm) link provided here: Recording Gault Ward Ballot draw 7 July 2020
- Dispatch of Ballot Material to Electors - Tuesday 21 July 2020 to Monday 27 July 2020
- Meet the Candidates session - 3 August 2020 at 7pm, Cumberland Park Community Centre
- Close of Election With Ballot Papers Returned No Later than 12 Noon - 10 August 2020 (12 noon)
- Close of Voting (Polling Day) - 12 noon, Monday 10 August 2020
- Scrutiny and Count - 9am, Wednesday 12 August 2020
- Swearing in Ceremony - 25 August 2020 (Civic Centre)
- Induction - TBA
3 August 2020 – Meet the Candidates session – Your chance to ask questions
The 'Meet the Candidates' session hosted by the City of Mitcham provides an opportunity for the public to meet and ask questions of Candidates to assist with their voting decision and hear their responses in a public setting.
The candidates are:
- CHENEY, Coralie
- MOSS, Rod
- WESTBROOK, Ashley
- KOURAKIS, Zanis Peter
- SCOTT, Janet
- GRIFFIN, Mark Anthony
- WELLS, Joanna
To read more about the Candidates, visit ECSA here.
How to be involved:
If you have a question you would like answered by all of the Candidates, we encourage you to register your question prior to the event to allow time for all questions received to be collated and sent to all Candidates.
Questions can be emailed to SupElection2020@mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au by COB Thursday, 30 July 2020. All Candidates will be sent the questions at the same time to prepare their responses for the 3 August 2020 session.
Please note, any responses provided by Candidates are their own opinion and are not authorised by the City of Mitcham. The 'Meet the Candidates' session is not compulsory for Candidates, it is provided for those who wish to participate.
When you email your question/s please ensure you provide your name, suburb and if you will attend as this will assist us with prioritising the order of questions to be asked on the evening.
A link to the 9 June 2020 Full Council Report detailing information on the supplementary election - Gault Ward (June 2020) can be viewed here.
The successful Candidate’s term is expected to commence 25 August 2020 (Swearing in Ceremony) and expire at the next election in November 2022.
The City of Mitcham will have Candidate Nomination Kits available from the Civic Centre from 25 June in hard copy.
Supplementary Election (August 2020) - Gault Ward
Please be advised that there is another separate Supplementary Election for the Gault Ward which has recently been announced by the Electoral Commission.This supplementary election will be held to fill a vacancy in Gault Ward due to an Elected Member’s resignation. Potential candidate nominations will open on 27 August 2020 and close on 10 September 2020. A Candidate Nomination Information Session will be held at the Cumberland Park Community Centre, Goodwood Road, dates are yet to be announced.
Other Key Dates
- Close of Voters' Roll - 5pm, Friday 31 July 2020
- Nominations open - 27 August 2020
- Nominations close - 10 September 2020
- Meet the Candidates Session – Monday, 7pm 21 September 2020
- Dispatch of Ballot Material to Electors - Tuesday 22 September 2020 to Monday 28 September 2020
- Close of Election With Ballot Papers Returned No Later than 12 Noon – 12 October 2020
- Swearing in Ceremony – 27 October (Civic Centre)
- Induction - TBA
- Close of Voting (Polling Day) - 12 noon, Monday 12 October 2020
- Scrutiny and Count - 9am, Wednesday 14 October 2020 (TBC)
The successful candidate’s term is expected to commence 27 October 2020 (Swearing in Ceremony) and expire at the next election in November 2022.
A 'MEET THE CANDIDATES' Question and Answer session will be held at 7pm at the Cumberland Park Community Centre, 390 Goodwood Road – Monday, 21 September 2020.
Those interested in nominating as a Candidate for either Gault Ward Supplementary Elections are recommended to refer to the Electoral Commission of South Australia's (ECSA) website which can be viewed here.
The ECSA website includes much useful information, including the Candidates Handbook which details:
- Candidate Checklist
- The Role of the Returning Office
- The Councils Voters Roll
- Entitlement to Vote
- Nomination Requirements and Procedures
- Profiles and Photographs
- After the Close of Nominations
- Campaigning by a Candidate
- The Mail-out of Voting Materials and Close of Voting
- The Scrutiny
- Method of Voting
- Concluding the Election
In the meantime, candidates can download information from the ECSA website to determine if they are eligible to nominate and view other resources to guide you through the nomination process.
The Local Government Association of South Australia also has a variety of resources available.
For more information visit:
www.ecsa.sa.gov.au or call 1300 655 232.
www.lga.sa.gov.au or call 8224 2000.
or call our Customer Communications Team on 8372 8888.
Election Signs Policy
The City of Mitcham Election Signs Policy allows for election signs to be erected four weeks prior to polling day.
This means for the Gault Ward Supplementary Election (June 2020), signs can be erected from 13 July 2020. For the Gault Ward Supplementary Election (August 2020), election signs can be erected from 14 September 2020.
Please click on the link below for further information about the legal size and placement of candidate sign(s).
If you have a complaint in relation to the content of an Election sign(s), please contact ECSA direct using the links provided above.
If you have a complaint about the location of an Election sign(s), please contact the City of Mitcham on 8372 8888 in the first instance.